Here are some quick time-saving tips to help you get the most out of your computer!
1. Ctrl-Left takes you back a page, and Ctrl-Right moves you forward. On a Mac, switch Ctrl for the Cmd key.
2. Press the Space bar to take you down a page (as long as you aren’t typing!). Add shift to go back up.
3. You can enlarge the text on any Web page. In Windows, press Ctrl and the plus or minus keys (for bigger or smaller fonts); on the Mac, it’s the Command key and plus or minus.
4. Putting quotation marks around a phrase in google keeps the words together, stopping your search for “electric fences” becoming a search for electric blankets!
5. You can switch from one open program to the next by pressing Alt+Tab (Windows) or Command-Tab (Mac).
6. Just putting something into the Trash or the Recycle Bin doesn’t actually delete it. You then have to *empty* the Recycle Bin from within the application.
7. You don’t have to type “http://www” into your Web browser. Just type the remainder: “activegroup.co.uk”, for example.
8. Holding Ctrl while using the scroll wheel on your mouse is an easy way to zoom in and out.
9. Any word can be highlighted by double-clicking it. Triple-clicking highlights the whole paragraph. Hold down Ctrl while clicking to select more than one word/paragraph.
10. Some key shortcuts to save you time:
Ctrl (or Cmd for Mac users) +
S – automatic saving
C – automatic copying
V – automatic pasting
For more helpful tips follow us on facebook and twitter!
ActiveIT – Providing expert IT Support in West Sussex